Thursday, March 10, 2011

Living to learn

We are living in a peculiar time - never before have people had the ability to communicate with others as quickly or as frequently as we can now, and this has resulted in a global population that is arguably the most diverse ever in terms of individual knowledge, personal beliefs, and the amount/type of information at our fingertips. The main reason for this revolution is the Internet, one of mankind's crowning achievements (though some will say it's also one of our worst - I would then argue that religion and science would fall into the "best/worst" category).

In the past, if one was inclined to learn about something, one would have to visit a library or ask someone who knew what they were talking about. Now, all you have to do is Google it or Wikipedia it, and you have your information. Whether it's correct/incorrect is another matter; the sheer speed it now takes to research any number of topics is almost mind-boggling. I feel it almost robs humanity of one of its greatest assets: curiosity.

Now, let me explain what I mean: of course, people are still curious (I said so myself earlier, when you want to know something you can usually find out about it online). However, I believe our level of curiosity has diminished. Our sense of wonder about things unknown is brief, when all it takes is a few minutes to "discover" something. I remember being young and wondering how the hell those lightning bugs glowed like that (which in turn makes me remember that Calvin & Hobbes comic where Calvin sees a lightning bug, and then tries to make his own butt glow) - was is magic? Maybe some mad scientist had put tiny light bulbs in all those insects? A wandering mind produces fanciful ideas.

Kids today merely have to search "Why do lightning bugs glow?" to discover that "the secret is nitric oxide...in a complex arrangement between nerve cells, light-producing cells, and an enzyme-assisted reaction, the lightning bug's lantern emits that greenish glow" 

Boring, ain't it? (I apologize to those that may find this interesting, but I'm guessing the general population doesn't).


Now this is pure speculation, but it's my feeling that children are growing up way too fast in today's society. That child-like sense of wonder and amazement is being lost at an earlier and earlier age, which will result in adults that are apathetic and essentially sheep. The livestock that composes the general public may cry out to the world when their governments start to clench it's fist around their rights and privacy's, but by then it will be too late.

We expect a just world; we just expect someone else to give it to us. And I trace that statement back to the fact that life's questions have become too easy for most of us - we no longer need to bust our mind's ass in order to learn something, when the answer is a few keystrokes away.

[post composed while listening to "So Bad" - Eminem]

8 comments:

  1. I would have to say I agree totally, and to add to your thought... I am more upset over social networking and what it has done to relationships between people. Yes it is great and is a very useful tool when it comes to staying in touch with people who live far away, but not too long ago, when you wanted to talk to a friend you would pick up the phone and call them, or talk to them in person. I feel that because I can read a person's statuses all day every day I have no need to really communicate with that person, aside from the occasional "like" or haha thats funny lol
    I feel that this has completely changed friendships into impersonal acquaintances...
    Instead of hey lets catch up over lunch sometime it has become, I know everything about you thank to your profile, so theres no need for me to call~
    I am sorry for this rant but I think it is a very sad time when friends can go months or even years with out even speaking to each other and you still call them a good friend...or that the ultimate betrayal is to be blocked or deleted from someone's facebook.
    People have relationships with facebook, not people.
    End rant
    *Good job writing a thought provoking blog kiddo keep em coming, I enjoy your writing style, its very straight forward and memoir-ish*

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol thanks for the compliment. and i also agree about social networking's affect on personal relationships. i think youve just given me a new story idea :)
    though im sure that millions of people have covered that topic haha. oh well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you. :)
    This time of instant information has its pros and cons although sometimes it's hard to remember the pros. There is no buffer of time to let our curiosity and imagination take root and flourish within our minds. We can just hop on the net and solve the question. Then we just move on to the next thing. Usually Facebook or Twitter or some other social networking device. What Amanda says is true; now that we know all the menial goings on of someone's life via Twitter and Facebook we feel no need to call them up and speak to them personally or hang out with them face-to-face. I have this feeling of camaraderie with someone I haven't seen or talked to since high school yet because I can just pop over to her Facebook, I feel no need to call her up or see her when I visit KY.
    Ok, it's your blog so I'll end this rant. I enjoy reading this and I hope more people continue to do so. Your writing is very thought-provoking and I'm proud to call you my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Ok, it's your blog so I'll end this rant. I enjoy reading this and I hope more people continue to do so. Your writing is very thought-provoking and I'm proud to call you my brother."

    aww, thanks :D im proud that youre proud that im your brother :P
    i really dont mind you ranting on my blog though lol. i'd rather people talk too much on here than not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. Just remember that later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you wrote about this specific subject. As I'm sure you know Japan was hit yesterday by an earthquake and tsunami. I live close to San Fransisco and I woke up this morning to every news station available telling me to prepare for the tsunami waves that were coming our way. As of now there has not been anything of significance happening. The Bay Area as well as the coastal areas have been evacuated to be sure there are no injuries and/or casualties, however, in my honest opinion people's natural curiosity has gotten the better of them as there are hundreds of citizens lined up along the coast to get as good look at the waves coming in. Remember, they were supposed to be evacuating. Police officers have been continually kicking people off the beach because they continue to come back to get a first-hand look at these tsunami waves rolling in. While I admire their bravery for getting so close, I am appalled at the lack of common sense that so many people seem to have. This further proves, imo, the fact that with such instant gratification from technology our natural curiosity has been resigned to natural disasters and as the excitement builds up(because it seems nature is the only thing we truly have to wait for) we override our common sense and self survival for the "youtube video of the week." As I watched these morons walking along the beach I turned to my mother and commented' "You know, I've always wondered why movies depicted so many people on the beach as huge 50-foot waves rolled in after hours or days of warnings. I always assumed it was just to make the movie more exciting. Now I see that it's reality; people are ignoring their common sense just to get that instant satisfaction." They've been desensitized by all these videos on the internet that allow them to be close-up to dangerous situations without actually putting themselves in danger. And in order to get the most hits on youtube or the most popular video they put themselves in extremely precarious positions and completely ignore the fact that they have common sense. It appears Darwin will working overtime the next few years and I can't say that I'm sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. while i agree that people have to resort to extreme measures to get their "high" again, i wouldnt necessarily say most of them are doing it to be the flavor of the week on youtube (unless they all had videocameras, and in that case retract this statement lol). me, personally, i know i would stand outside watching a tornado approach - not because i have a death wish or am seeking a thrill, but because i find tornados beautiful. ive always wanted to see one in person (albeit at a far, far distance if possible), and perhaps these people want to see a tsunami in person. highly unlikely scenario, but one that i entertain haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I thought I had said this. Yes, they all had their cameras/phones out. And maybe they weren't in it for the youtube fame but they certainly forwent their common sense. Which essentially was my point albeit enigmatically placed haha

    ReplyDelete